Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Q + A: Trevor Basset




Q: How and when did you first become interested in art and illustration?

My dad is a cartoonist so I grew up around it, but didn't really become more interested in illustration until college when I started experimenting with it more while working on gig-posters.


Q: Do you have a strategy for starting a project? Any warm-up rituals?

I generally try to land on an idea I like before I really start working, but sometimes it can also be nice to just make something without thinking about it as much. My process definitely changes from project to project.

Q: What was your first illustration gig? Did it go smoothly?

A poster for Titus Andronicus, I think it worked out as far as the feeling I was going for, but I probably would have added a bit more if I did it now.



Q: Is there an artist you’d like to collaborate with?

I already have! I love collaborating with my wife as Small Horse Studio.

Q: What has been your favorite Ten Paces swap so far? If you had to add a theme to the line-up, what would it be?

I really enjoyed the hand lettering swaps. I think it would be fun to see a week of Roman or Greek mythology.



Q: Which one would you chose to represent yourself?

Probably the Harry Potter week that I took part in.


Q: What is your ultimate goal for your illustration career?

To be able to work with my wife full-time on projects we enjoy. I'd also like to try editorial illustration at some point.



Q: Can you tell us about a time you failed or a time you should have done something differently? What did you learn from it?

I think when too many hands get involved a project can turn out less than great and that happens from time to time. When that does happens you can learn how rewarding it is to just make what you like and not worry about outside opinions.

Q: What is something new you have recently learned?

That it's important to stay creative even if you don't have as much time to spend on personal work.



To see more of Trevor's great work, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment